Potato, Carrot and "Other" curry
Curry does not happy that often around our place and when it does it is usually last minute so I wanted to come up with a recipe I could throw together without much planning. Since we almost always have potatoes, carrots, onions and garlic around they became the base. The "other" is extremely customizable based on what you have on hand and tonight for me it was red lentils. I've done chicken, cauliflower, zucchini, beef, pork and chickpeas. If you are fancy and want to make your own curry powder I'd suggest Alton Brown's recipe.
- 1 large potato chopped
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 1 medium onion sliced thin
- 1 Cup Other - chickpeas, chicken, beef, shrimp, cauliflower, etc.
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp Curry powder
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 thumb sized piece ginger
- Heat 2 Tbsp oil in a large skillet
- Add onion and fry till just starting to brown, add ginger and garlic
- Fry till you can just smell the ginger and garlic, add the curry poweder
- Fry spices for 1 to 2 minutes until very pungent
- Add any raw proteins and cook through, if using lentils add them and a cup of water and simmer for 5 minutes before continuing.
- Add potato, carrot and coconut milk
- Simmer for 10 minutes or until potato and carrot are cooked through
- Allow to simmer to thicken sauce as desired
- Serve with Basmati rice