Last Night's Dinner: Grilled Pizza

For when it's too hot to turn on the oven. OK it wasn't really TOO hot to turn on the oven last night but we wanted to try grilling some pizza anyway, any excuse to use the grill right?

So I made up a normal batch of dough in the morning and tossed it in the fridge for the day, we suspect the results would have been a touch better had we not refrigerated the dough, we'll have to find out. After doing some research on how to grill pizza courtesy of the foodtv website I thought I was ready to go. The biggest lesson learned there was to oil the top before you flip the crust and to apply the toppings lightly. I used up some leftover spinach to make a quick pesto for my pie, with some ham and parmesan cheese on the top I was quite pleased. My wife had her standard mozzarella and pepperoni but thought the toppings were a little heavy for a grilled pie, she's going to try tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and basil next time.

I was very happy with the results and I think by the third pie I had the heat figured out such that the crust didn't scorch before the cheese melted. No pics from last night but you get a dough recipe today! woo!

Pizza Dough
Makes 2 12" pies

2 1/4 tsp yeast
1 Cup hot water
3 Cups Flour ( I do half AP and half Whole Wheat)
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 tsp salt

1. Mix the yeast into the hot water and let sit about 5 minutes
2. Dump the yeast, salt and 2 1/2 cups flour into your stand mixer (use the dough hook) or food processor
3. While mixing pour in the olive oil
4. Let mix 5 minutes
5. Let raise at least an hour (I like to put the dough into an oiled bowl and put it in the oven with another bowl of steaming water then close it up for 30-60 minutes if I have time)
6. Split the dough into two equal sized portions, roll out, top and bake as you please ( We like to do them on a pizza stone in a 500 degree oven usually)

Comments

Unknown said…
I think we should build a brick oven in your back yard.

I usually pre-bake my crust without the toppings, then dress it and throw it back in. What are your feelings on that?
James said…
i looked into building a brick oven a bit the other day, looks complicated, lots of cement, and not cheap.

I'm ok with pre-baking but I usually don't do it, i want pizza and don't wanna wait the extra couple minutes usually.

-JH
Unknown said…
Prebaking makes the crust really crisp, which is a requirement of good pizza.

A hotter oven would be better, but I just crank my oven as hot as it will go and keep my eye out for the golden edges.