Recipe: How do you cold brew? (Cold Brew Coffee)

How do you cold brew? (Cold Brew Coffee)


There are three different devices available to me in the house with which to brew coffee as I write this post. Of those devices use my French Press most often, have had fun with my new Moka Pot which just looks damn cool and have relegated my regular drip machine to the basement unless we have more than 2 coffee drinkers coming over for a visit or a meal. This pales in comparison to someone I know with, at last count, SEVEN ways to brew coffee in his house.

Despite this array of tools to make coffee I most often resort to using none of them and making cold brew coffee. I started making cold brew a few summers back because it was too hot in the morning for a hot cup and enjoyed it so much I never stopped. It's easy to make once a week then make a single cup, hot or cold, in the morning. It doesn't use any special equipment really and most importantly it's delicious. Using this method avoids much of the bitterness in coffee which results in a really smooth beverage.

I made a new batch this morning, here is my method.

Cold Brew Coffee

  • Coffee beans, course ground
  • Water
The ratio I use is 1 part coffee to 8 parts water. This morning it was 2 oz coffee and 16 oz (2 cups) of water. In this amount I just mix it in a measuring cup. Mix the coffee and water, cover with cling wrap and stash it somewhere safe for 24 hours.
Cold Brew Coffee
That's just coffee and water! Exactly.

After 24 hours I strain with a fine mesh strainer and then again through a funnel with a coffee filter (a paper towel works) in it into a swing top bottle but any clean container will work. This gets stashed in the fridge.

For a hot cup I microwave a cup of water 3/4 full until quite hot, then top off with the concentrate.

For cold I mix about half and half cold water and concentrate in a glass with ice.

So, are you going to try cold brew this week? Let me know how it went.



Comments